Monte Carlo Method to Calculate View Factors for Radiation Exchange
To compute radiation exchange between any two surfaces requires the value of view factor. When the geometry of surfaces is complex, it is not easy to obtain view factors by a closed-form analysis. In this project, Monte Carlo method is explored to calculate view factors between two surfaces in three-dimensional space.
- Learning basics of Monte Carlo method
- Writing a programming code to calculate view factors
- Validating the code by comparing with known view factors for certain surface configurations
- Writing a report
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Basic knowledge on radiation heat transfer
- Basic knowledge on geometry
- Good knowledge of programming language such as Matlab, C or Fortran
Student: Uğur Can Kahveci
- This project is rated as “moderate or moderately difficult.” Those who do not feel comfortable with writing a computer code should not apply.