Design and Fabrication of a Fixture for Laser Displacement Sensor
Our department has a laser displacement sensor, to be used in high precision measurement of displacements. In this project, a fixture that is to mount the sensor to the vibration shaker is to be designed and fabricated. The fixture should be adjustable so that the laser should be able to translate in vertical and horizontal axes, and its head should be able to rotate. In addition, the oscillation of the fixture-sensor system should be negligible up to a base excitation frequency of 150 Hz.
- Conceptual design of the fixture
- Embodiment design. Selection of materials and joint mechanisms.
- Solid modeling. Detailed design.
- Characterization: Determination of fundamental frequency by performing a frequency sweep test on the shaker.
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Interest in design & solid modeling
- Interest in working in machine shop & fabrication
- Should have taken ME 445 course
- Should have taken ME 343 course (and preferably ME 344).
Ref: LASER (Acronym)
Vacancy: 1 student
Duration: 1 semester